Monday, August 30, 2010

Week 1: Introduction and Course Overview

Because the links that contain the required readings for Week 1 are currently unavailable, I am unable to glance through the articles a second time. Without the means to refresh my memory, I will just have to try recalling my reactions to what I had read. From what I can remember, there have been reports on how the latest technological breakthroughs in formatting and distributing sources of information can cause more harm than good. This problem consists of the following issues (For the record, I am trying to respectively place the required readings into a nutshell): (1.) Just about anyone can publish material and the information often lacks legitimacy; (2.) If these technologies are designed to supposedly make people’s lives easier, then everyone needs to obtain mastery of those tools; (3.) Because these breakthroughs are developed at such a rapid pace, it becomes increasingly difficult for everyone to be on the same page.

When it comes to those who like to publish what we may consider as the equivalent of tabloid newspapers, there is nothing we can really do about it. So long as freedom of speech continues to be enforced, such individuals will cower behind the first amendment whenever they receive complaints for their mudslinging. Although they are responsible for bringing so much filth, the World Wide Web is not their exclusive pigpen. The Internet seems like the perfect place for their dirty games, but little do they realize everyone’s invited to the playing field. To make sure everyone is able to compete, they need to learn the rules of the game. Once more people are able to compete, they are all able to compete fairly and not one individual or group is able to have any advantage over the other. Since the rules of the game are constantly changing, there is no guarantee that might happen. Some may catch on more than others, perhaps even better, or maybe not at all. Ultimately, what is important is that everyone has an opportunity.

Call it hindsight bias if you want, but I felt like I was being reminded of the materials I had read and reread during my years as an undergrad and the courses of my earlier semesters. Of course, I still feel grateful about informed, since I tend to forget about these issues. As much as I look forward to working in a library or archive, I need to keep remembering that not everyone, including patrons and staff members, may be technology literate. As I am familiarizing myself with these concerns more and more, I should be able to know how to address them. I also need to make sure they are not dependent on me. I can only feel confident about meeting my objective of educating the less knowledgeable if they are able to become tech-savvy enough to handle the tasks on their own. And if they become capable of giving other people instructions, so that they can do the same with others, and the same for the next group of people, then that would be even better for me. Knowledge is power and with great power comes great responsibility. In order to wield this power responsibly, we need to be able to protect our influences.

3 comments:

  1. Me again.

    I think I'd like a clarification on what you mean by "the equivalent of tabloid newspapers." Do you mean things like gossip and celebrity blogs? If so, while they may not be productive intellectually or societally, they do fill a niche that a lot of people care about, and they have as much right to publish as any of us. I would object to your characterization of the first amendment as something to be cowered behind.

    If you're referring to cyber-bullying or the like, you certainly have more reason to vilify the perpetrators, but I'd still object to your uncivil choice of language in the second paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, what I had in mind, and maybe I should have specified earlier, were the bloggers acting like political commentators. Because they do not have the professional training to analyze an issue and write an article, they can look at any situation, take certain elements out of the context, distort the evidence, and then publish the material. What is even more disturbing is that there are people who actually do take the information seriously. If you look at the Shirley Sherrod scandal, then you will know what I mean. Judging by how the blogger who instigated the mess had responded at first, it gave me the impression that he refused to accept responsibility for his actions. I hope you now understand why I chose those particular words in my second paragraph. However, if I have done something that seriously offended you, then I most sincerely apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, I wasn't offended. "Object" may have been a strong word.

    ReplyDelete